Shipping your vehicle with an auto transport company is not as complicated a task as many might think. The only thing you will have to do is to ensure that you use a competent and experienced company to have your car or truck shipped conveniently. That means that you will have to do your homework before settling for any auto shipping partner. It will be fallacious to think that everyone knows about vehicle shipping, and if you are seeking to have yours transported, then here is how the entire thing works.
Getting the quote
The idea behind using car shipping services is to take the stress out of the move which in many instances is long distance. But before you do that you want to get quotes from different companies to make your budget – this is the first step. Search on Google using keywords like auto transportation or car shipping companies and most of them, if not all, will have a tab on which you can get a quote depending on the distance of the transportation and the type of vehicle among other factors.
The thing about auto transport quotes is that many companies use paid ads that would require you to provide a lot of personal information before getting the quote you are looking for. Worse yet, they will direct you to lead generator websites that will not do you any good. What you need is an Anonymous Car Shipping Calculator like the one used on the Nexus Auto Transport site. This option does not require you to provide any personal information, thus ensuring your privacy. The details that you will be required to provide include:
- Location of the car pickup
- The place of delivery
- The required date of delivery
- The make model and year of the vehicle
Once you have provided this information, you will have several anonymous quotes from different automobile transport companies. You can go a step further and get in touch via the phone to get a deeper understanding of how they operate and at the same time detect any signs of lack of integrity and efficiency.
Preparing your Vehicle
The first step is all about choosing among the car transporters the one that suits your preferences and budget. The second is preparing your car for the scheduled shipping. It is a step that requires precision to ensure that your car is shipped in good condition. Here are the important actions to take when preparing your car for shipping.
- Ensure that you have removed all your personal belongings from the car. While moving companies are licensed to move personal possessions, auto shipping companies are not.
- You don’t need a full tank. Just have enough to take the car to be used during loading and unloading. You will also need a little more to take the car to the gas station after delivery. This helps in cutting unnecessary weight.
- Take quality photos of the outside of the vehicle before shipping to help both you and the auto transporter have a record of the condition of the vehicle during pickup. Do the same for the interior of the car for the same record.
- Choose an accessible location for the pickup. Most auto shipping companies use huge trucks and navigating some residential streets might be a problem for them.
- Make arrangements with the car transporter if you will not be around during pickup since they will most likely not accept any signature apart from an authorized person.
- Clean and wax your car to protect the paint from different factors like the weather elements, dirt, and debris.
While your transport company will have insurance cover to protect the cargo they carry, you want to make sure that you have a supplementary cover for other costs that their insurance may not cover. This would require that you get a comprehensive list of what you are required to cover and what the company covers.
What you will need to know
When shipping your car, there are a few things you want to know from your automobile shipping company. They include:
- Time estimate
How long will it take them to transport your vehicle to the destination? This would depend on a number of factors including your preferred date and the package you purchased.
- Insurance cover
Have an agent to go through what the transporter’s policy offers and make sure that your vehicle is adequately covered.
- Available transport options
Different companies offer various car shipping options. Be sure to choose one that suits your needs regarding budget, the method of transport and the delivery date.
- Location of the delivery
While many auto shipping companies will only deliver your car to their terminal, others can offer to deliver it to your home. Just check with them to know.